Friday, July 10, 2009

Nieces and Birthdays and Famous People


Tonight, on a nice but cooler summer evening in Bar Harbor, we all gathered at Gam and Grampa's house for a 13th birthday party for Evelyn. My friend and business partner and fantastic singer/songwriter Aaron Benward was on the phone with me when I pulled into the driveway. I said, "Hey, I'm just getting to my parents' house and it is my niece Evelyn's birthday, will you say Happy Birthday?" to which he replied "of course I will". Aaron proceeded to not only wish Ev a Happy Birthday but also sang her the whole song. She loves Blue County and her face was priceless, amazed and very cute, someone she sees on stage and music videos singing now singing HB to her. I told Aaron I was now off the hook for a birthday surprise for her until she was 21. He is a great guy, very generous and kind. Love, love, love him.


Sooooo.... a little later, I was talking to Lily, the 4 1/2 year old, or 25 year old, depending how you look at it.... Her long ringlets were falling out of her pony tail, big brown eyes were waiting for presents and cake and she just had that exasperated look on her face. Teasing her, I lamented, "Gosh, I wish I had an aunt like me when I was your age". She asked why and I told her my aunt had never had anybody famous sing Happy Birthday to me. To which she replied, rolling those big brown eyes... "OK..... Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you.... omg. TOOOO much! :-)
Lily, the famous in her own mind one, pictured above with Ava.

No comments:

Post a Comment